North Korea attempts to launch spy satellite again

State media said that North Korea’s second effort to install a spy satellite in orbit was unsuccessful due to a fault that occurred during the third stage of the rocket booster. However, space authorities have promised to attempt to send the satellite in orbit once again in October.

The initial attempt, which took place in May, was likewise unsuccessful since the new Chollima-1 rocket came crashing down into the ocean.

During the first few hours of an eight-day window that North Korea had provided for the launch, which took place on Thursday before daybreak, the launch took place.

The nation that possesses nuclear weapons has been working toward the launch of what would be its first military surveillance satellite into space. It has stated that it intends to eventually deploy a fleet of satellites to watch the movements of troops from the United States and South Korea.

“The flights of the first as well as second stages of rocket were normal,” the state news agency KCNA said of Thursday’s launch. “However, the launch failed due to an error in emergency blasting system during third-stage flight,” the agency said.

The military of South Korea stated that it had tracked the aircraft from the time it was launched at the Sohae Satellite Launching Ground in the North and that it had likewise determined that the flight was unsuccessful.

In Japan, an emergency warning was issued shortly before four o’clock local time (1900 GMT) in response to the launch. The warning instructed residents of Okinawa, the prefecture with the southernmost location, to seek shelter inside.

The emergency warning was lifted approximately twenty minutes after the initial alert was issued by the Japanese government, which followed up with a bulletin stating that the missile had passed through and was heading towards the Pacific Ocean.

Hirokazu Matsuno, who is chief cabinet secretary of Japan, conducted a press conference that was broadcast on television. He stated that the repeated missile launches posed a threat to security of the region.

The statement that he made was as follows: “We will strongly protest against North Korea and condemn it in the strongest possible terms.”

According to Matsuno, fragments of the rocket were thrown into the Pacific Ocean, the East China Sea, and the Yellow Sea (Pacific Ocean).

The launch was deemed a provocation and a breach of resolutions passed by the United Nations Security Council that prohibit the North Korean government from employing ballistic missile technology, according to the South Korean military.

While speaking under the condition of anonymity, a United States official confirmed that the United States military was aware of the launch by North Korea, but they declined to provide any further specifics.

Although the National Aerospace Development Administration (Nada) of North Korea stated that it would examine and take steps to correct the cause of Thursday’s failure, it also stated that the failure “is not a big issue” in terms of the rocket system’s overall reliability.

“Nada expressed… that it would conduct the third reconnaissance satellite launch in October after thoroughly investigating the reason and taking measures.”

Although the North attempted to launch the Chollima-1 satellite rocket earlier this year, it was unsuccessful. Both the booster and the cargo were lost in the ocean as a result of a breakdown in the second stage of the rocket’s flight. An unstable and unreliable new engine system and fuel were accused of being the cause of the setback by state-run media.

Parts of that failed rocket were recovered by South Korea, including the satellite payload, which the country stated did not appear to have any military capabilities.

Ankit Panda, who works for the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in the United States, stated that it did not come as a great surprise that the launch on Thursday again failed. However, the news from the official media implies that North Korea has made some progress since the disaster that occurred in May.

“There appear to still be time pressures for Nada to succeed given the commitment to an October follow-up launch,” he continued. “That is a commitment that has been made.” There is a possibility that this will not be sufficient time for the scientists working in North Korea to return to the drawing board and make more adjustments.

Latest articles

Alaska limits cruise ship passengers to limit tourists

Alaska’s capital city is set to limit the number of cruise ship passengers arriving at its port due to concerns over tourism's increasing impact....

Sudan war: Millions struggle to find food

Mr. Balal, based in the UK, is a co-founder of Khartoum Aid Kitchen, which provides food to tens of thousands of people in Sudan’s...

Influencer fined €1,800 for trespassing on Sardinia pink beach

A Dubai-based influencer has been fined €1,800 for trespassing on a restricted pink-tinged beach in Sardinia and sharing videos and photos of her visit...

Florida: State of emergency declared due to flooding

In the last two days, Florida has experienced significant rainfall, prompting Governor Ron DeSantis to declare a state of emergency in Broward, Collier, Lee,...

Related articles