Australian Open: Navratilova slams Peng Shuai T-shirt ban

Martina Navratilova, a retired tennis player, has slammed the Australian Open’s decision to prohibit T-shirts supporting Chinese player Peng Shuai.

On Friday, security personnel instructed spectators seeking to access the grounds to take off T-shirts that read “Where is Peng Shuai?”

After accusing a high Chinese official of sexual misconduct in November, Ms Peng vanished for weeks.

She has now reappeared, but many people are still worried about her health.

Tennis Australia, which organises the Australian Open, said in a statement that Peng Shuai’s safety was their “top concern,” but supported their decision to confiscate the T-shirt and banner.

“We do not allow commercial or political attire, banners, or signs under our ticket conditions of entry,” it stated.

Navratilova, the former world female number one tennis player, termed the decision “pathetic” in a tweet.

Nicolas Mahut, a French tennis player, also commented on the situation, implying that the organisers were caving in to pressure from significant Chinese business sponsors.

On the Australia Open website, two of the key partners are mentioned as Luzhou Laojiao, a Chinese premium liquor company, and DeRucci, a mattress company.

“What the hell is going on!? What a lack of bravery! What would you do if you didn’t have Chinese backers?” Mr. Mahut sent out a tweet.

Sophie McNeill, an Australian researcher for Human Rights Watch, termed Tennis Australia’s decision “not cool,” and urged other tennis players in the competition to raise awareness about Peng Shuai.

Following the event on Friday, a Gofundme page was set up, promising to manufacture more T-shirts if the goal of AUD$10,000  was met.

International sporting events frequently have laws prohibiting what the organisers consider to be political remarks. From the grounds of Wimbledon, “any objects or clothes expressing… political views, disagreeable or offensive sentiments” are prohibited.

Ms Peng accused former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of forcing her to have sex with him in a 1,600-word note posted on Chinese social media platform Weibo in November.

She suddenly vanished from public view, causing widespread worry among the worldwide tennis community, fans, and human rights organisations.

She reappeared a few weeks later, and in her first media interview since then, she denied making any sexual assault charges and claimed her social media post had caused “a lot of misconceptions.”

Latest articles

Taliban plans pact with UAE to run Afghan airports

After months of discussions with the UAE, Turkey, and Qatar, the Taliban's acting deputy prime minister said on Tuesday that the organization will sign...

Close contacts of monkeypox cases to get vaccines in Denmark

The Danish Health Authority said on Tuesday that Bavarian Nordic (BAVA.CO) will deliver immunizations to close relatives of monkeypox patients. Director Bolette Soborg told media,...

Uber to start taxis in Italy to expand business

Uber Technologies Inc announced on Tuesday that it has reached an agreement to connect its ride-hailing app with Italy's top taxi dispatcher in order...

Italy to open beach bar licenses by end 2024

Politicians in Italy agreed on Tuesday to set a deadline of the end of 2024 for completing tenders for lucrative contracts to run bars...

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here