The Australian government confirmed sixth case of new Omicron variant of Covid-19 on Wednesday, with international traveler returning to Sydney testing positive for the virus.
The Government of New South Wales confirmed that a man in his 40s, who recently returned to Sydney after spending six months in Nigeria, South Africa, was tested positive for new variant of concern of Tuesday evening. The infected man, however, was fully vaccinated against the Covid-19.
Meanwhile, tensions over the community spread mount over the health authorities as the infected man had travelled on the same flight from Doha in which another woman was confirmed suffering from Omicron variant.
However, the NSW health authorities have said that there is no need to panic as there is no evidence of community transmission or transmission on the Doha flight.
The NSW health Minister Brad Hazzard told media that the government is not yet considering another lockdown in the state. “We don’t know how many more variant of Covid-19 will come. At present, it is important to strike a balance between the situations. There is no need of lockdown but to follow the guidelines issued by the government”, he was quoted saying to media.
The omicron variant of the coronavirus, which was first detected in South Africa, is considered highly infectious and capable of sustaining frequent mutations. World Health Organization (WHO) has already declared omicron as the ‘variant of concern’.
After the country started reporting cases of the new omicron variant of Covid-19, the Australian government has decided to postpone reopening of its international borders for the skilled workers and students, by at least two weeks for now.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison, after conducting an emergency review meeting, said that the country had earlier decided to reopen its border on December 1 but looking at the situation, the government had decided to delay the reopening by two weeks.